Saturday, November 27, 2010

Till we meet again

Death isn't something that I have experienced before. I have had people in my life pass away but none that I have know well or been closely related to. I have come to realize as I get older I will be experiencing more of this. However expected or unexpected it may be. My cousin Jamie's death was tragic. It hit me really hard. My emotions have been everywhere since from denial, shock, sadness, anger, pain, depression, you name it I have felt it. Even now, after I have been to her funeral it doesn't seem real.
What I do know is the Lord has a plan and Jamie will one day be reunited with her family. The Lord blessed so many of us who were traveling to Utah for the funeral. There were little miracles everywhere. I really didn't know if I was going to be able to go, it was the day before Thanksgiving and plane tickets were $1000 round trip. Ghastly right? Not knowing what to do, I called friends who worked for airlines, others checked to see if they had points or miles that they could give me and still it was looking bleak. But, then I remembered the car sitting in front of my house. Friends who had recently moved to Utah hadn't taken it with them hoping it would sell. So I called them to see if they wanted me to drive it there for them...and they did (even helping monetarily as well). I was able to finagle my work schedule and I found a return trip ticket for less than $300 albeit it was on Thanksgiving day. So I made it and I know that it was a blessing from Heavenly Father. My sister was able to do the same and we went together. Not to mention they were expecting a massive (I mean storm of the century) blizzard the night before the funeral when everyone was arriving, that didn't come (which we are pretty sure my grandma prayed away.) So many little things like that happened, little miracles allowing everyone to be there together.
It was a bitter sweet experience. I was able to see many family members whom I hadn't seen in many years yet, we were there because of Jamie's funeral. Not knowing what to expect, the funeral was both spiritual and beautiful. My sisters Cassidee, Codee and myself along with my cousins Tiffany, Ashley and Lynsey were able to sing Nearer, My God, to Thee. The people who spoke including my cousin Darcy, Uncle Denny and Josh did a wonderful job at giving glimpses into Jamie's life as well as expressing their love for her.
Despite the tragedy, there was a wonderful feeling of peace at the funeral. I know the Lord has a plan, that Jamie was special, and the Lord needed her. Families are eternal and despite the sadness and sorrow we feel we will all be together again someday. The Plan of Salvation is real and Christ died so we can return to our Father in Heaven. I know that he will bless Josh, Boston and Alex with peace and comfort.
Till we meet again.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

i'm glad you made it there (and back) safe and sound. thinking of you and your family.

Megan and Keli'i said...

I am so incredibly sorry about your cousin, Lace. I am such a bad friend for not having read about it sooner. I am so glad that you were able to get to Utah and be there for her. I will call you later on this week. I love you so much, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

THE BELLS said...

I wrote pretty much the same thing....twins.:)

Francais Frit said...

I am so glad that your testimony is so strong. Even though at times the strongest testimony doesn't dissolve the loss and sadness, it brings a comfort for the eternities.

Love you tons.

Kristina said...

Lacey, I'm sorry about the loss of your cousin. The death of someone is such a hard trial and I will pray for you and your family to feel peace with everything. What a blessing to be able to get to Utah and back without paying an arm and a leg!

Shelley Graham said...

Lacey, I don't know if you remember me or not but Aunt Imy passed along your blog address so I could read a little bit more about the funeral. I'm so glad that you posted this beautiful testimony. I needed to hear it - I've been feeling so sad for Jamie's family, especially those sweet little kids, and it was comforting to read what you wrote here. Did you maybe get to meet my husband Dan when he was out there? He couldn't remember the names of everyone he was able to see when he stopped by. Anyway, I'm glad to catch up a little bit on your cute family as well. I hope you are all doing okay.

Love,
Shelley

Blog Archive