I have been thinking a lot about being appreciative for the things and people we have in our lives. Mostly this train of thought was brought about by a book I am reading called Searching the Scriptures by Gene R. Cook. In an effort to get a better understanding of the gospel and get more out of the time I spend reading the Bible and the Book of Mormon, Cheri (my mother-in-law) gave me this book. I am only a few chapters in so far and it has already changed the perspective with which I go into my personal study time. Mostly being appreciative for the sacrifices of so many to bring about the sacred works that we have today. It talks of people such as John Wycliffe who wanted the Bible translated into English and was shunned and excommunicated from his Church for it. The hatred ran so deep that when he died, people dug him up and burned him. And then there was William Tyndale who, when the printing press was invented, wanted to provide a printed English Bible. He had to do this in secret under alias's and he was eventually captured, in a dungeon for 16 months and then strangled and burned at the stake. Then, of course, is Joseph Smith who went through so many trails, persecutions and hardships eventually being martyred for wanting to do the will of the Lord and not deny him. So as depressing as all that sounds, even though I already knew theses things, this time it actually changed the way I think. I am much more appreciative for the availability of the Scriptures and that we can buy them so easily. To know that so many have died in order for us to read the words of the Lord makes me thus, appreciative.
But, this also translates into many other aspects of life. The struggles of the pioneers, the many wars of the worlds, political strife, all so that we can live as we do today. So we need to be appreciative for the the many lives lost and consider ourselves lucky to live in a day in age where we can worship freely any religion that we chose.
This also makes me appreciative for the little things in life, like the smile on Abby's face, since medical advancements made it possible to make it through a rough beginning. For air conditioning and electricity. But also for marriage, and the sanctity of it. To know that what is bound on earth is also bound in heaven and that "Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord"(1 Corinthians 11:11). To know that families are forever is such a wonderful thing and the knowledge that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. Gives me a new perspective on many things.
So with that said I can say I am Appreciative for Seth and all that he does for our family. For the hard work and dedication it takes to support us, and of course putting up with me. Who can be quite mouthy at times. For also being a good dad and husband. And for Abby and the great Joy she brings into our family. Of course, also included are Moms, Dads, Sisters, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, In-laws and those who (most of the time anyway :)) make our lives easier and make us feel loved.
I am appreciative for all I have and all I have available to me.
1 comment:
I am glad you posted this, I feel the same way. That is a really good book, I need to read it again. Love you Lace.
Post a Comment