Thursday, January 12, 2012

A new little Whitworth

Getting the once over
WELCOME EMILY!!!!!
 January 6, 2012
7:14AM
7.4 lbs
20 3/4 Inches
Weight check

 Where to begin? So many things to say and little capability to put my thoughts on to paper. Thus, my feeble attempt. As many know, we wanted to have another baby. We, obviously, succeeded. Had we known then where life would take us and what trials we would have to face; we may have thought differently. Although, I wouldn't change it, life has a way of making things difficult no matter how much you plan or anticipate, so you might as well get on with it.

With all of life's stress, our one big concern was the delivery of little Emily. We knew fairly early on that I had a "low placenta." Thus, throughout my pregnancy my doctor kept checking its placement. Needless to say, it stayed low the whole time and complications can and often do occur. Around the 30 week mark we had a scare because I had some bleeding, thankfully all turned out well and the pregnancy progressed.
 But, as time passed my doctor began to prepare me for these potential complications. In a nutshell, there was a 25% chance that I was going to have something called an Acreeta. It has to do with the muscle and placenta attaching to one another. The doctor would only know when he went to do the c-section, and if that were the case, the only solution to stop bleeding (among other things) was to preform a hysterectomy. This was not something I really wanted to know or hear, because I wasn't sure if we were done having kids or not and I didn't want the choice taken from me.
 So there I was, the night before, scared to death knowing I was going into surgury to have Emily but also because I wouldnt know until I was already under the knife whether I was going to have to have a hysterectomy. Many prayers were said for us and by us, which were very much appreciated. I had Seth give me a blessing, and in the end there was nothing else I could do but wait. I had to accept the fact that this might happen. The week of the C-section I received a call that the doctor wanted to move the time up to give himself more time in case there were complications. Not to mention the fact he was already having another surgon scrub in and assist him, having back up blood and what ever else back up he could have. Dont get me wrong, I would rather have him prepared than not. I love my doctor.
 But, still I felt reassured that everything would work out one way or another, and my doctor really didn't seem to think that was the case, he just wanted to be a boy scout  about it. But as we came to the hospital the day of the c-section, I got a little different feeling. Like he was more worried than he showed me. Everyone we spoke with would say "oh your the one with the acreeta?" Then the anesthesia team came into prep me and there were two of them there as well, speaking like the acreeta was going to happen. So much so that they put in another IV just in case.
 And so it began....I was honestly scared. I was having uncontrollable body convulsions and my mind was in knots. After my body was numb they brought Seth to me, which was a great help and the birthing began...it seemed life forever and then they stopped for a moment to call the NICU. They found that they were going to have to cut all the way through the placenta and in those cases, things can happen, so they waited until a NICU doctor came in. Yet another stress inducing moment. Thankfully not to soon thereafter they pulled Emily out and she was PERFECT!!!!!!! No NICU personnel were needed and they cleaned her up and handed her to Seth. She remained in his arms and at my head the rest of the surgery. I cannot express the relief I felt when I heard her cry. Immediate tears of joy and tension sprang forth and I was truly grateful for her safe delivery.
 Then much to my surprise I hear the doctors almost in a state of shock. They cannot believe it. My doctor leaned over the sheet and told me "What an incredibly lucky person you are" Because the much anticipated acreeta, was not a problem, and the placenta came right out. Both of the doctors expressed their shock. Even in speaking with the other surgeon the next day he couldn't believe it. Literally, he said what he was looking at inside me was a classic Acreeta...and it should have been, yet it wasn't. All I know is that the lord was watching out for our family yet again and his out pouring of blessings never ceases to amaze me.
 Emily, Seth and I then waited for them to close me up and we headed to recovery, where we got to spend some quality time together. She, like Briggs, lifted her head right away in search of food. She latched and nursed very quickly. She is such a tiny little thing. Very petite and fragile, but this girl can eat. She stayed with us the whole time. It was fantastic. They don't even take the babies to the nursery anymore. They do everything in the room with the moms, and it was a great time to spend with her and Seth.
 She had a great APGAR score and seems really alert and awake, that is when she is awake. She seems to have a really great temperament and we adore her. She is such an incredible blessing to us. The gift of life really is an aw inspiring thing, and I am thankful to have been able to give birth a 3rd time.
 Abigail and Brigham came a few times to visit, unsure of what to think of at first but they LOVE HER! Especially Brigham. He calls her "My Emily" he loves to kiss and love on her constantly and always asks where she is. Abby loves to help with her and is a great big sister. Of course everyone in the family is proud of her, all the Grandma's and Grandpas, Nanas and Papas, Aunts, Uncles and so on. Especially her daddy. Seth loves her too! That little gal is already melting hearts. We are thankful for her addition to our family and thank everyone for their prayers, visits, gifts and food. Especially to those who helped with Abigail and Brigham, we are indebted to you. Much love!
Nana and Emily
We are home now. Learning a new routine. Mostly recovering though. I came home Sunday morning and have been enjoying every moment since. That is unless I accidentally fall asleep, which has been known to happen. Emily came home weighing 6lbs 10 ounces and is just tiny, we had to put her in preemie diapers. However she has already gained some of that back. She did well at her first doctors visit and we have another one next week. She is already 1 week old tomorrow.! Happy One Week Birthday little Emily!!!!Now on to the rest of our lives....



Our Frog Princess

Brighams favorite part of the hospital, my food tray

He found my soda

Abby, Emily and Aunt Christy


The Ride home

Aunt Christy, Abigail, Uncle Luke and Emily



Siblings

Emily's feet

Papa, Nana and Emily

Abby, Uncle Luke, Emily and Briggs

Burping Time

Cute

Grandma, Aunt Lindsay, Aunt Christy, Aunt Chandler and Emily

Don't you just want to kiss her.


Proud dad ( this is my favorite)

Already going for her hands

Proud, Tired, Parents

In love

8 comments:

Danielle said...

that is so incredible lacey! thank you for sharing the whole story, you know i love me a good birth story. i'm so thankful that everything went well with the surgery. the power of prayer!!!

that picture of her, brand-new and screaming - MAN ALIVE, she looks just like you!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Maegan said...

Oh my goodness! She looks just like you! She is BEAUTIFUL! I just love her already! I can't wait to meet her and see you. I love you and miss you!

Stephanie said...

she is so precious!! i love her little baby sounds on video. oh she melts my heart. so glad everything went well lacey!!

Francais Frit said...

What a story! I get all teary eyed whenever I hear those stories. The whole birth process is really amazing I get chills thinking about it. Glad you had great doctors, so many helpful friends and family and the perfect outcome! What an adorable girl.

andi said...

I'm so happy everything went so well- gives me goosebumps! She's just precious- congratulations all over again!!

Liza A Martin said...

She is so so so beautiful! I cried and got chills reading your story because God is so good! I had read up a bit on your condition and was nervous for you, so I can't even imagine your relief when the csection was over and you were holding that sweet girl! I always say I don't know how any mother in the world could birth a child and not believe in God?! It really is amazing. Good luck during this adjustment period and I look forward to the day that we meet up! xo

Kristina said...

Beautiful pictures of such a beautiful baby! What frightening pre-delivery. I am so happy that everything worked out and that Emily is healthy, and YOU too. I hope you are recovering well and that you're getting some sleep :-) Your entire family is adorable, I love it!

Liz said...

What a neat experience! It always is but it sounds like this was extra special and extra blessed. Congrats again! She is beautiful and so perfect. I love the picture of her yawning. I'm calling you soon (that means it could be months in Liz time) to hear how your doing. Love you!

Blog Archive