Saturday, February 11, 2012

Abigail's Glasses

Several months ago at Abby's well child visit her doctor suggested I take her to an pediatric eye doctor. She thought perhaps Abby had a slight "lazy eye" for lack of a better term. I never really thought much about it because I never noticed anything and those Docs are pricey.  
With changes in our insurance I decided to go ahead and just see if there was anything to it. What could it hurt. I was very impressed at how well Abby did, she was a real trooper. The doctor said there were a few inconsistencies with her visual tests, but that's common with kids her age. He did say that he saw a slight delay in her eye movement that can appear as a "lazy eye" and he would like to dilate her eyes  to confirm.

They dilated her eyes, ran more tests and low and behold, her visual tests were backed up by the dilation and she is farsighted. I feel so bad. The doctor said her eyes were working a lot harder than her peers to try and compensate. He prescribed her glasses that she has to wear all the time, and have regular visits.  I guess a child's eyes are not fully developed until they are 8 years old and with proper treatment now there is a possibility when her eyes are mature she wont need glasses. Only time will tell.

 It was so funny when we went to pick out the frames; she saw some glasses that she thought looked like her grandpas (which they didn't at all) and wanted those. She kept insisting her glasses looked like grandpas.  I saw some really cute petite pink frames that I liked however, Abby did not.
As a compromise She decided she had to have these blue pair. Not my first choice but a lot better than the  "grandpa" glasses. She keeps taking them on and off but hopefully soon she will be able to keep them on consistently.


The glasses totally change the look of her face. She is so cute!

2 comments:

THE BELLS said...

SO cute...as a professional....please push the nose pads together a little so the glasses are sitting more in the center of her eye. she will like it better too. :)

Megan and Keli'i said...

She is SOOO cute! I love the glasses. How great is it that you went and got it all checked out? And your kids are all adorable. I love all the posts. I'll check in on you this week, Super Mom. Love you, Lace.

Blog Archive