At Abby's last dentist appointment the Dentist recommend we see an orthodontist for a consult before we return. Mostly because he noticed Abby's irregular arch in her mouth and she is missing adult teeth on the bottom. So I waited a couple months and then made the appointment. After taking all the pictures and x-rays we visited with the Orthodontist. He basically said Abby's mouth has some pretty severe problems, mostly due to her finger sucking. Her top bones have formed to the shape of her fingers high and narrow instead of short and wide. Because of the severity he said that if it wasn't worked on she would probably have to have surgery later in life.

I really liked him a lot, he laid it all out for Abigail and told her what was going to happen if she didn't stop sucking on her fingers. So we decided to go ahead with the beginning stages of her orthodontic path. She got 6 braces on her top teeth to help bring them down as they currently stick out as well as align them better. Then over the next couple of weeks we go back for an expander which will help reshape he mouth.

She was supposed to be fitted for that already but given the weather it hasn't happened. Abby was a trooper. She did really well and only complained minimally of pain the next few days. We also have a sock and duck tape it to her hand every night to help stop her habit. This has worked the best so far of everything we have tried! I don't know if its because she is older or if its because he told her she would have to have surgery if she didn't stop. Either way its working. If she does it for 30 days straight the Orthodontist will mold her fingers and give her a trophy of them. She is excited about that.

Now with these on she seems so old! Even though its costing a fortune and I hate spending money I know how much this will affect her in the future. Especially since the worst part will probably be over before adolescence. Kids can be cruel and if her teeth continued on their current path she would have some major issues later. I would rather her do it a little at a time starting now rather then have them as a teenager into adulthood as Seth and I both did.
1 comment:
Whoa, that's a big step!!
Post a Comment