Monday, September 14, 2009

Our Big Boy..

He is finally here. It took a lot of hoping and praying to get the little guy to come but he finally decided to make his appearance. Following is the long tale of his arrival so...skim if you don’t want all the gory details.
Friday morning the 11th of September, I got up at 3am to use the restroom and check on Abby. After rearranging Abby from the position she was in I crawled back into bed and before my head hit the pillow I felt a ‘pop’ and then I was very wet. I wasn’t sure what to expect when my water broke but I definitely knew when it happened. So I woke Seth up and said “Seth my water just broke” and he replied “OK what do you want me to do?” I asked if he could get me a towel, which he did, and then he crawled back into bed. I was like hmmm …really? “Seth you cannot go back to sleep we have to go to the hospital”, “are you sure” “yep pretty sure”, and thus it began. (But I forgive him, it was 3AM)
So we loaded up what we needed, along with poor little Abby and arrived at the hospital about 3:45AM. Seth later took Abby to my dad and Cindy’s where she remained for a few days, props to them. They checked me in and I was being poked and prodded like a prime piece of cattle. I was 1cm dilated, still, and 75% effaced with contractions coming pretty steadily every 3-5 minutes depending on the time of day it was. They were not so bad at first. The first several hours I could mostly talk and breathe through them. The next several hours there was no talking, just deep concentration and breathing. They were painful but I didn’t think they necessitated an epidural. But with all this, there was no progress, except that the contractions were more painful. We kept hoping that the pain meant I was progressing, but unfortunately that was not the case. So by mid afternoon the doc said I still had a long way to go and since I was not progressing, and he didn’t want me to labor a long time due to my prior c-section, that if nothing had happened by late afternoon to expect a c-section. Thus more contractions, more pain, I did have the bloody show, which is a good thing but I guess it didn’t help me any. The last couple of hours were extremely painful. Just as I was about to ask for pain meds they told me the Doc was ready for the C-section but there were two more women in front of me with more urgent cases. Thus, I could get the epidural and use that for the c-section. Or wait an hour and get a spinal which is better and in the mean time take some pills for pain. I opted for the latter and it helped with the first few contractions but then had no effect. 5:30PM rolls around and it’s my turn. They walk me back and my body is theirs. Thankfully everyone was awesome, the nurse was holding my hand and rubbing my shoulders as I got the spinal and then it was time for the show to begin. This brought back so many memories of more traumatic times it was hard to concentrate on the present. They brought Seth in and he calmed me down immensely. What a great job he did. At 5:59PM Brigham was born and the first thing I hear the Nurse say was “Holy Buckets he’s big!” whatever that means but it was funny. My doctor realized then why I was not dilating more, I guess due to his size but, he was also sunny side up (his nose facing my belly button rather than my spine) which he said in most cases those babies never come. I heard Brigham cry and then shed a few tears myself and waited as they put humpty back together again. Soon they brought him over to show me and he was beautiful. He weighed 8lbs 12 Oz and is 21 Inches long. He has lots of hair which was a nice surprise and has a great personality already showing through. He has already brought us so much joy. Not 30 minutes out of surgery and I was holding him in recovery and he lifted his head up, he’s a strong littler bugger. There were so many new experiences with him, in many ways it was like having our first child because everything was so different. Abby loves her little brother and she always wants to kiss him.
Thanks to everyone who visited and helped out. The recovery process has been a little harder this time around but it’s coming along. My body is definitely different. I feel like an umpa loompa. I thought I would drop some weight right away but all I have lost so far is 8lbs 12 oz. Here’s to a long weight loss program….
More pics to come later
Our Big BoySeeing him for the first time.Holding him for the first time, right out of SurgeryHe Scratches his face a lot, thus the socks.Father and son Holy Cow we have two Kids!

15 comments:

Danielle said...

Congratulations Lacey & Seth!! I am so happy for your cute little family!!!

Megan and Keli'i said...

Oh, he is perfect! Congratulations, Lace and Seth! ANd I can hardly believe you have two babies! Holy moly we're growing up!

mandy said...

Congratulations! He's so cute!!

Natalie said...

Ahh...so cute. Now I'm even more homesick.

April said...

Ooooohhhhhh! CONGRATULATIONS! What a labor, I don't envy you. :) Glad all went well and that big boy Brigham is happy and healthy...you as well. You have a beautiful family Lacey!

Francais Frit said...

WOWOWOW!

He doesn't look like a baby! Lucky ducks, you skipped that grumpy puffy phase. He looks just like you and Seth already! Look at that chin! And those cheeks! Is he crawling yet ;)

Many congrats!

Juen said...

Love, love, love it. How wonderful to have such a healthy son and a beautiful daughter. Thanks for putting up the pictures so we can share in your job. Hope your recovery is swift and as painless as possible.

andi said...

Congrats!! So glad he is here and that things turned out okay- I know you didn't want a C-section again, but whatever it takes to get them here safe! He's cute, and with all that hair!

Kristina said...

CONGRATULATIONS! He's a chubbo, I love it!!! Your family is so cute. I hope you have a speedy recovery. What a beautiful baby boy.

Leisha Mareth said...

Congrats! He is a handsome little devil, just like his Daddy! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! He is so precious. Very happy for you Lacey & family! (Gee whiz, just look at little Abby, she is getting so big!)

Charla and Jarom said...

Yeah! Congrats mama! I'm so glad you are all doing well and recovering anyway :) I love big babies! Evan was 9lbs. 1oz. I'm still waiting for someone to beat that. You came awful close :) I always say 9,1 , beat that! And all my friends say, why would I want to beat that?! Anyways, he's totally adorable and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Charla and Jarom said...

P.S. Evan was looking at the blogs with me and when he saw the first picture of Brigham he said Ewwww, baby eewww! But then he wanted to keep looking at it! What a weirdo!

Liza A Martin said...

I can't help but shed a tear. Isn't God amazing? Congrats to the beautiful addition to your already beautiful family. And I will pray for a speedy recovery!

Lori and Brian Faulconer said...

Beautiful boy! He was exactly the same size as my Emmett (Who is now off the charts, so watch out!)

Great job!!!

Blog Archive