Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Random Thoughts

Cindy was making Abby laugh really hard it was so funny. Can you tell Abby is teething?

I have been trying to stay busy on a daily basis but, sometimes that just doesn't happen. Unfortunately my life's motto as of late has been "same old crap, different day" so if you get that as a retort from me, just take it in stride. By the way, Abby can walk now all by herself and she also learned to crawl like a normal baby and not like a wounded soldier. Anyway...Abby and I spend the day making a huge mess of the house. First she starts with taking all the toys from the toy drawer and dispensing of them equally throughout the house. Then she moves into the kitchen and commences taking out every pot and pan while at the same time attempting to step or sit in everyone she touches (don't worry, I wash them before I use them). I think she likes this one the best because it makes the most noise and it drives me crazy. Then she makes her way to the cabinet with all the Tupperware. Which of course she throws every piece out in a matter of minutes. But, some how she always seems to find the Tupperware that makes a nice top hat and proceeds to play about the house as though it belongs there. She definitely keeps me entertained. Although recently she has learned to climb onto the fireplace and then trys to walk off like someone is there to catch her. Which thankfully so far I have been, there have been a few close calls though. I am sure sooner rather than later she is really going to give herself an injury. She also likes to climb back and forth in the kitchen table chairs which acts as a minnie play area. She will do this for a long time, which she gets herself stuck often which of course brings on a frustrated tantrum.

Which brings me to my next topic. I would appreciate any and all advice on the subject. While Abby of course is the best child on earth and cutest :) she does have her flaws. As of late she really has started to throw some of the worst temper tantrums I have ever seen. Mostly because she likes to hit herself in the head with massive force as well as fling herself on the floor which usually end up in bruises. If I am there and trying to calm her down she will bite me like I am a Christmas ham as well as pull my hair with such aggression. Of course these tantrums worsen and she is tired. On Sunday while at church she sat through Sacrament just fine but as the next hour came she had a melt down. The worst I have ever seen from her. She was screaming at the top of her lungs and flailing like it was a sport. Thankfully I had the mothers lounge to myself. But as I tried to keep her in my arms and calm her she was yanking my hair and biting with a passion. After about a half and hour of this I put her on the floor where she immediately threw herself as hard as possible into the chair leaving a huge gash and welt on her head. Needless to say I was sweating bullets by this time and had had enough. So I packed her up and went home. She promptly went to sleep as did I after such a battle but I was frustrated as well. She also will bang her head really hard on her high chair pretty regularly. What do you do? I feel like I am going crazy, I have tried the method of "put her on the floor and ignore" as well as try to soothe and cuddle. Neither seems to do the trick. Any suggestions????

And lastly just a quick funny story....Most mornings Abby wakes, I give her bottle and I go for a run outside. Generally around 7:30. Each time I try to make it a little further so I can get back into shape. The route I take is about 3.2 miles and is actually kinda hard when you do it. So the other morning I was determined to make it a certain distance and I had my mind set. So when I was approaching the area I saw the sprinklers were on. I thought, perhaps by the time I made it down there they would switch, but no such luck. So getting closer I was debating because I had Abby in the jogger and Belle (my dog) in tow who hates sprinklers. But I thought I have come this far Abby wont get wet if I pull the shade down. So I pulled the shade and trudged on. However I did not get very far when I heard a scream and Belle freaked out and yanked my arm off. So I looked in to see what was wrong with Abby and apparently I had not done the proper job and she seemed to have been hit directly in the face. Poor thing I felt so bad, gosh why am I so stubborn. So I turned around and she cried most of the way home. What a great mom I am!

So that's life in a nutshell right now. Her are some more recent pics of Abby......Evidence of the Tupperware. This was funny because when I walked into the kitchen this was how I found her. Sitting in this box trying to wear that bowl.
There is that top hat again
For some reason she likes to squeeze herself into little places. Like the box above and this little toy bin. I sometimes find her trying to squeeze behind the couch or into her toy drawer.

4 comments:

April said...

Ok, so the temper tantrum bug has hit over here too. Isn't it terrible? It totally wears me out. With Syd at 16 months, we started time-outs, simple word explanation and then an excessive amount of love. I don't know if it works yet, haha. One thing I have come to realize is to be consistent so she knows I'm in charge...she seems to thinks he is 99% of the time. Kids (sigh).... ;)

Danielle said...

I think she likes small spaces b/c she's trying to re-create the security of being in the womb.

No idea on the tantrums. Maddy has them but she's only 9 months old, so I can't really discipline her yet. :( Good luck!

THE BELLS said...

Oh, my little deamon baby.I think you just need to hug it out:)I can't wait to squeeze her to death....little butt.Have you looked on the internet about the biting? Though, that could be risky and you could get some unwanted info???

kristi said...

Why are little one year olds so attracted to cabinets with stuff in them? We also have the loud pots and pans thing happening as well as the tupperware. Does abby like to drag the broom out and move it back and forth like she's sweeping? It's an everydary occurence here!

We've discovered 3 words of parenting advice:
Lower your Expectations! ha ha ha

Blog Archive