Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bodies

Where to begin? Last Thursday night I was driving home around 9:30pm from splits with the missionaries. I made a quick detour at the store and started home when I come upon two bodies and a motorcycle laying in the middle of the road. Neither person was moving. I stopped my car, put on the hazards (I didn't want anyone to run them over since you know, they were in the middle of the road) and grabbed my phone (thank goodness for cell phones) and called 911.

In the process of dialing 911 I got out of my car and went over to where the people were. They were still not moving and I see lots of blood coming from both of their heads. Of course they were not wearing helmets. By this time others are beginning to get out of their cars and come. So I am talking to the 911 operator explaining what I see telling her details from gender and age to where they are bleeding from. Then for some odd reason she asked what kind of motorcycle it was and I was like Huh? "OK its kinda big and maybe a Harley", I was a little distracted by the two wounded people who were lying there in the middle of the road. I couldn't understand how that was important but, whatever.

By this time the man was beginning to stir. He kept trying to move and get up. His face bloody and gnarly. He kept asking about his wife. So I tried to to tell him to stop moving and wait. Thankfully another guy came and sat by him and told him to calm down and not move. I told the operator that he was stirring but the woman was still not moving. Honestly I thought she was dead.

The operator is asking if I have anything that I can stop the bleeding with and I say I don't think so, and I yell out if anyone has anything. Blank stares. So I ran to my car to see what was there and what I found was a diaper in the trunk. I told her this and she said "I guess that's better than nothing". I was about to go put it on the guy and then, finally, I hear the sweet sounds of sirens. So I waited. I think the sirens were loud enough to stir the woman and her eyes began to flicker and she started to speak but still no movement. Scary.

The police arrived first. My car was still in the road, and one policeman asked who's car it was and I replied it was mine. He asked if I could move it out of the road and I said OK. Then he asked if I saw what happened. I say no but I happened to be the one who was on the phone with 911 and was pretty much the first one there. To which he says OK you can go home.

I was like hmmm OK. He was actually kind of rude about it. So I get in my car and drive home. Having no idea what happened, slightly in shock and feeling like I am going to vomit due to the adrenaline.

Kinda anti climatic I know but it was one crazy night.

4 comments:

Kristina said...

WHAT? That is bizzare! And pretty darn scary. You acted so responsibly, way to go. You seemed to care even more than the dispatch.... who cares what type of motorcycle is it. Maybe there was a recent stolen motorcycle, who knows. All I know is, you're one brave woman!

Megan and Keli'i said...

Wow! That's CRAZY, Lace! Gross. I hope those people are okay.

Charla and Jarom said...

Wow, that is insane! What a good citizen you are! I would have done the same thing! Hopefully they're ok and you can get the images out of your head.

Francais Frit said...

That is crazy. You never know- just by calling a minute or two before anyone else, you could have saved them.

Blog Archive