
All of those who know me, know that I am an avid reader. I pretty much inhale everything that strikes my fancy, and in most cases I read the book twice. Generally I read books that are more for entertainment purposes, not too intense but have a good story line. From time to time I read books that are more for mental stimulation or serve a more spiritual purpose.
I have just completed reading The Peacegiver by James Ferrell for the 3rd time. This book is absolutely amazing. It really is thought provoking and makes me reflect on things in my life. Essentially its a long parable about a man who is struggling in his personal relationships, how he finds healing through the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and finds about who he really is by connecting to biblical stories such as the story of Abigail and David or Jonah and the whale. Every time I read it I come to a new understanding of myself and who I am and also gain a greater appreciation for the scriptures.
The relationship that is in trouble in this book is that of a husband and wife, but I think that this refers to any relationships fathers, sons, sisters, brothers pretty much anyone that you may find a strain with.
Here are a few bullet points I pulled out of the book...
- "There are ways to be right on the surface and entirely mistake beneath"
- "Being mistreated is the most important condition of mortality, for eternity itself depends upon how we view those who mistreat us"
- A war begins when you start seeking revenge in your heart.
- "We sin when our hearts are sinful, no matter what we do on the surface"
- In context of the story of Abigail and David..."Abigail asked for forgiveness not because she need to be forgiven but because David needed to forgive"
- When you think to yourself how something can be possible why not think "why is it impossible"
- Do we ever flee to Tarshish and run from the Lord as Jonah did?
- "Love and Salvation are gifts"
- "You discover love by learning to love others"
- "By choosing to engage in sinful acts our hearts become sinful"
- In Gethsemane Christ overcame the captivity of our hearts.
- "No weapon is as devastating to a home then a heart that has stopped loving"
- "The failing to receive an apology is something that needs repenting of as fully as failing to give one"
OK so that was more than a few, and there are so many more things in this book that are great. If you have read it I would like to hear your thoughts, if you have not I recommend it to you because it will change you and your perception of the people around you.
3 comments:
I haven't read it, but I'm going to after reading your comments. Thanks. Looks like a good Christmas gift :-)
I've heard such great things about that book, I'm going to add it to my list. On a non spiritual side note, if you like books during the world war 2 era, which I'm obsessed with, you should read The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. Chaundra and I both just finished it, Really good.
Wowsers. I have been wanting to start a book club in the ward but wasn't sure what book to start with. Nice work, Lacey.
Post a Comment